En Irlande, l’école secondaire de Dundalk, dans le Comté de Louth, a une longue tradition d’ouverture à l’international.
Dundalk Grammar School’s venerable history
From 1739 to 1835 it was a Charter School. In 1835 it was reorganised, largely by the Revd Elias Thackeray, as the Dundalk Educational Institution. It was in abeyance during World War I, and in 1921 was revived by a local committee and reconstituted as Dundalk Grammar School. This committee was later enlarged and became the Board of Governors. The Governors meet frequently and are assisted by the school’s Board of Management, which has representatives from the Governors, staff and parents.
The school is under Protestant management and is mindful to see that the prevailing ethos has its roots in that tradition. Since 1739 the school has been closely associated with the Incorporated Society for Promoting Protestant Schools in Ireland.
The school aims to foster a strong moral code based on Christian principles, fostering a sense of community and a respect and concern for others. Our staff are committed to doing this through meeting the needs of our pupils in the academic, sporting, social and spiritual realms. In this way we hope to produce well-educated, well-rounded young people who are tolerant of others, enthusiastic for life, and who will develop to their full potential.
The school’s pleasant site
The school is on a pleasant site, with mature trees and gardens, on the southern edge of Dundalk within five-minute walk of the railway station. The main building dates from 1817. It houses offices, library, computer room, music and orchestra rooms, and student canteen.
In 1999 the school bought adjacent land, containing the Old Louth Hospital. This magnificent, early nineteenth century building was refurbished and developed and opened in 2001 to provide first-class boarding accommodation for up to one hundred and thirty students. The boarders are supervised by the Headmaster and eight resident members of staff.
Over the last two decades the number of pupils has increased to approximately five hundred and fifty. We are happy to remain a moderately sized and truly inter-denominational school. The small class size helps to keep a friendly family atmosphere. Each year’s group is divided into four form groups. These are mixed ability groups of twenty to twenty-five students.
Valérie Hervé – Professeur d’espagnol à Dundalk